Saturday, December 24, 2011

Twenty One, Two, Three, Four


HAPPY DECEMBER 21, 22, 23, and 24!

I'm thankful for a number of things, these days.  Briefly:
I'm thankful for new beginnings.  To not only be who I want to be, but be who I am.  And be completely accepted, loved, and encouraged.  Unlike when I went off to PBU (and I was confused about who I was, whose I was, and where I was going), I am here with support.  Not only am I "claimed" by Kevin, I am certain of my state before the Lord.  With that, I have confidence, I have opportunity to share that.   
I'm thankful for our youth group.  The other night, we had our first youth group party at our apartment: A Grinch-themed Christmas Party.  It was so much fun!  Although our apartment is small, the food was good, the games were fun, and the fellowship was sweet.  I am so looking forward to getting to know these kids more!  Definitely looking forward to our retreat in January!  
I'm thankful for the Jewish faith.  Romans 9 says, "They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises.  To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Messiah who is God over all, blessed forever.  Amen."  Kevin and I have begun a "new" tradition (new for our family, that is): celebrating Chanukah.  We have our beautiful, pristine menorah... had to look up how to actually observe the holiday... and though we're not giving gifts each day and not being technically "Jewish" about the whole thing (yet!), we observe the miracle of Chanukah by lighting the candles.  And we are able to observe it with the greater, deeper meaning and fulfillment in Christ.  
Isaiah 2:5
O house of Jacob,
come, let us walk
in the light of the LORD 
John 1:9-11, 4-5
The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.  He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.  He came to his own, and his own did not receive him.  In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
In the same vein, I'm thankful for the gift of Jesus.  (Understatement of my entire life!)  Although the "biggest" holiday of the faith is Easter Sunday - for if Christ had not been raised, we are of all people most to be pitied - I like my college professor's take on the topic.  Jesus' life was a Christ event.  One major event could not have happened without the other: if He had not been born, He could not have died; if He had not died, He could not have been resurrected, etc.  I am thankful that He humbled Himself and came in our form.  The author of Hebrews puts it this way: Therefore, he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.  He is our Savior, He is our High Priest, He is our Hope.  And it is His birth we will celebrate tomorrow.  God-made-man.  The radiance of God the Father in an infant, human body.  This day is the start of something new, something permanent and perfect.  For He came to die - and His sacrifice is our hope!  Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment