Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fourteen/Fifteen


HAPPY DECEMBER 14-15!
Life's crazy.

I'm thankful for funny encounters.  They just add a little something extra to a run-of-the-mill day.  

Yesterday, I was greeted at a luncheon by a lady I had met only once before.  Just a week before, actually.  She grabbed 'hold of me, hugged me tight, and said how good it was to see me and how long it had been.  Then she realized I was not who she thought I was.  I told her that I appreciated the hug anyway.  :)

Kevin, too, had a fun little run-in at the luncheon.  He had just gone up to the beverage table to get us a couple of coffees, when a lady grabbed his arm and asked (as he said, with crazy eyes): "Did you know they have chocolate tea?"  He replied that, no, he did not.  She just nodded (still with the crazy eyes) and walked away.

Today, at work as I handed a fairly regular customer (venti mocha) his change, he looked at me bashfully (read: awkwardly) and said, "I'm just curious... would you be interested in going out sometime?"  Oy.  I wear my rings at work.  I purposefully hold the window open in such a way that the sun can shine off the diamond.  All things considered, I think I handled it rather well - thanked him, told him I'm married, and then sidled out of view.  Awkward.  But funny.  Poor guy.  Apparently, he had asked out one of the other baristas earlier that summer and she, too, had turned him down.  Ouch.

And now for something completely different!

I'm thankful for opportunities.  I had an awesome theological/Gospel conversation with a coworker today.  Just joking around, he claimed to be goodness incarnate.  I said, "That's blasphemy!"  Which launched us into a rather intense discussion of what "goodness" is, original sin, who Jesus is, His deity v. humanity, the holiness of God, what it means that God cannot look on sin, why it is important for us to believe in Jesus' act of redemption on the cross and what actually took place there.  Seriously.  Who gets opportunities like this?  Who takes advantage of them?  While this guy and I are prone to disagreement and (heated) discussion, I appreciate his mind and the way he thinks about things.  I also sense his curiosity, hand-in-hand with a disillusionment with religion.  I hope to have more opportunities of this nature.  Pray for me! 

In your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.
1 Peter 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment