Thursday, December 1, 2011

One


HAPPY DECEMBER ONE!!

In lieu of an Advent calendar, I've decided I'll count down the days to Christ's birth by sharing something I'm thankful for.  (Thanksgiving doesn't get enough credit in this consumer-driven holiday season, so it's all right if these holidays overlap some, huh.)

I am thankful for my doctor's appointment yesterday.  This type of thing usually causes me much stress and anxiety... I don't like making appointments, I don't like change in the sense of finding a new doctor's office, and I don't like having to take a physical.  However.  I had found a close-by clinic online that accepts my insurance (another blessing I'm supremely thankful for!), called to set up an appointment, and talked to the nicest lady about who I should choose to be my primary doctor, what type of appointment I needed to set up, and all that business.  She was just so pleasant - not necessarily the experience I've always had with setting up appointments over the phone.

So yesterday was my appointment.  I had already printed out and filled in all the new patient forms from the website (and they LOVED that I had done that... apparently no one else does), so I saved a lot of time in the waiting room.  The lady at the counter told me I would have to bring them all Starbucks next time...

Then, the nurse who took my blood pressure and weight (oy vay, cannot wait till January to start some sort of exercise plan) was awesome and funny and took me on a tour of the office, put me at ease about peeing in a cup, and just chatted for a while with me as I waited for the good doctor to finish up with a patient.

My doctor!!  She's awesome!  She's young, and super cute, and super friendly!  After chatting a little, we found out that we both had gone to private Christian colleges... and so we talked about churches for a while.  She let me in on some info that no other doctor would really have ever told me about my [nonexistent] risk for certain diseases/cancers - because Kevin and I have never been with anyone else but each other.  Apparently most doctors don't even believe that two people could be virgins when they get married, so they require a full physical exam once a year for people my age.  Dodged a bullet there!  She was also incredibly encouraging and answered all of my questions about stuff I had never even thought to ask a doctor... all in all, just a blessing of a visit.

I am so thankful that "on my first try" I was able to find a doctors office and a doctor I was comfortable with!  What a relief, and God is so good to set me up with another young Christian woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment