Thursday, September 1, 2011

the things i've seen

I love theatre.

Well, I guess it'd be more accurate to say that I love stories.  And I love music.  And I love adrenaline rushes.  Musical theatre takes these three items, mixes in some choreography, sets, bright and colorful lights.  The result is dazzling:  the audience is actually able to not only enjoy the display of talent and narrative, but it's almost impossible not to be swept into the story itself -- drama sucks a viewer in and doesn't let go.

Me, I'm a groundling.  And goodness, I'm more than pleased to be spat upon by the geniuses performing above me.

Last night, Kevin and I got to experience the timeless story of Les Miserables at Denver's Buell Theatre.  I miss this.  Yes, I miss performing, but I miss watching the stories, the talent, having my ears thrilled by the highs and the lows of a talented tenor or two.

Here's the list of shows I've seen.  Directly following is the list of shows that I'm dying to see.  Give me your feedback.  Any suggestions?  Any comments?  Have you seen any of these shows, too?  Let me know!


Fiddler on the Roof (2001) - with Topol!
--Miller Auditorium, Kalamazoo, MI

The Scarlet Pimpernel (2002)
--DeVos Hall, GR, MI

Porgy and Bess (2004)
--DeVos Hall, GR, MI

Wicked (2005)
--Princess of Wales Theatre, Toronto, Canada

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! (2006)
--Miller Auditorium, Kalamazoo, MI

Les Miserables (2006)
--DeVos Hall, GR, MI

Spamalot (2006)
--Shubert Theatre, NYC

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (2006)
--Imperial Theatre, NYC

The Tony Awards (2006) - so many songs, so many shows, all in one place at one time!
--Radio City Music Hall, NYC

Phantom of the Opera (2006)
--Majestic Theatre, NYC

Wicked (2007) - Front row, twice in one day.  The lottery is a glorious thing!
--Oriental Theatre, Chicago, IL

Chicago (2007)
--Miller Auditorium, Kalamazoo, MI

Les Miserables (2011)
--Buell Theatre, Denver, CO


DYING TO SEE:

The Lion King -- just purchased our tickets to this one at Denver's Buell Theatre for Nov. 11!!!
Legally Blonde
Beauty and the Beast
Catch Me If You Can
Wicked, again
Spamalot, again
Book of Mormon
Big Fish (rumored to begin production)
And... anything starring Sutton Foster

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love it. I really want to see The Lion King. I don't know why but it's the only one that I really want to see. It might go back to my childhood of playing naked in the mud...

    ReplyDelete