Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Crime and Punishment

Yep, the title pretty much sums up my experience with Dostoevsky's iconic novel.

I finished reading it just the other night... finally... after two months of being within seventy pages of finishing, I mustered up the attention and interest necessary to learn to what end Raskolnikov comes.  I take some relief in the knowledge that Thomas Hardy never finished, and RL Stevenson compared C&P to a disease.  Because that's mostly how I feel.

The afterword cleared up quite a bit for me - its significance as a progressive piece of literature (using a third person, omniscient voice to narrate) as well as the symbolism for sin and redemption, throughout.  It is a beautiful story... but about 500 pages too long.

As to my goal for this year: I've read a Russian novel.  As to the second half of that goal - appreciating a Russian novel - I'll... let you know.  I feel a bit war-torn.  Exhausted.  I don't care about Raskolnikov.  Great that he found redemption in Sofia.  But I don't believe him.  My favorite character offed himself: Svidrigailov.  He was the only interesting one.

Overall, I see its importance; I see some humor; I see some insight into human nature and the grace extended us; but, ultimately, I was not compelled.

----To see some books that I have lovvveeedddd (or didn't love) reading this year, check out my page, 23 Books!

No comments:

Post a Comment