Saturday, January 15, 2011

we can learn to laugh at the little things

Let me set the scene for you.
It was our first night in the new apartment. It was probably eleven o’clock and Kevin was basically snoring already. My mind, though, was still on because A) the neighbors had BET on a bit too loud, B) there were things still to be put away to make a tidy, cozy home, C) we haven’t put curtains up, so the parking lot lights filter through the blinds into our room more than I’d like them to, and D) probably too much coffee. So, I asked Kevin if he would mind too terribly much if I finished straightening, putting things away, and if I could watch an episode of Monk whilst doing so. He assured me he could sleep through anything. I believed him. So, I was climbing out of bed, must have miscalculated (am fairly certain my depth perception is near non-existent in the mostly-dark), and smashed my face against the headboard of the bed. I felt (and heard!) a sickening crunch under my nose (if you know the story at all, where Austin burnt his nose trying to peep over a pot of boiling water, resting his nose on the stainless steel side).
Immediately, I grabbed my nose and ran to the bathroom. It was already gushing blood. Now, I get nosebleeds easily and somewhat regularly, but I was almost convinced I broke my nose. A little tiny bit. Kevin stood next to me as blood continued to drip from my poor nasal passages, now very much awake and stunned that the first night in our little love nest had gone so far awry. Needless to say, after the bleeding had stopped, neither of us were very tired. We straightened and put things away to our hearts content, laughing at the stories we could make up about what really happened the first night in our new bed in our new apartment.

P.S.
When we were making breakfast-for-dinner tonight, Kevin dropped the eggs on the floor.
Married life is funny like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment