Monday, January 24, 2011

smoky smokey smokie

Our apartment smells an awful lot like bacon. Emphasis on the “awful”, please and thank you.
We made breakfast-for-dinner again. Growing up, and even until this very point in my life, I hated breakfast-for-dinner. Now, I realize the appeal. Not only are pancakes, eggs, and bacon (and whatever the heck else you want to make that is considered breakfast fare) delicious at any time of day, it’s all super easy and way convenient to make. Kevin texted me from work saying, “What’s for dinner?” And, Stepford wife that I am, I responded, “Well, what would you like, dear?” I gave him some options and he chose one… but then as I was looking up the recipe, I groaned at some of the work I would have to put in to that particular dish. There’s got to be something easier, I thought to myself. Then, lightbulb! Breakfast!
I hadn’t started when Kevin came home, but instead of having him man the bacon station like I had originally intended, I let him relax on the couch for a while watching Lie to Me. Great show. Halfway through the bacon and pancakes (which I was making simultaneously on the stove - because I can multitask like that), our smoke detector went off. And I mean, really blaring. Kevin jumped up off the couch to wave a pillow in front of the over-enthusiastic alarm. I turned on the fan above the stove, and Kevin sat back down to enjoy his show. Not a minute later, the alarm was going off again. Kevin’s getting stressed out, I’m trying to finish dinner so we can just turn off the stinkin stove and the good-for-nothing fan…
At the end of the whole ordeal, Kevin has opened both windows, turned on the fan on the A/C in the living room, is still waving a pillow in front of the smoke detector, and I am making a mess of the kitchen. I spilled bacon grease on the kitchen table, burnt my thumb a little bit, and dropped the eggs in the oven. Mmk so maybe breakfast-for-dinner wasn’t the most convenient option for this evening… but… it’s another story, right? And we’re getting the smoke alarm and the fan above the stove checked out on Monday. Seems like they’re not really doing their jobs well.

No comments:

Post a Comment