Friday, December 7, 2012

abiding at advent


'Tis the season.  
Advent.
The coming of our Lord.
The great miracle of Incarnation.
The monumental shift of history.

And how do we celebrate?
By waiting.
Hoping.
Preparing.

We look forward in anticipation, certainly,
but these actions are hardly exciting - or even active, for that matter.
Not what you might expect for an event so huge we're still talking about it millennia after the fact.
Celebration, this season, is mere attitude, perspective, or inward reflection and preparation?
And yet, no amount of active striving will make Christmas come any sooner.

I feel this way sometimes.  
No, rather often.
That my life is just a waiting game.
It's all about to change, 
truly, everything is about to change.
The coming year will hold great things.
But I'm in-between.
I'm here, the important and monumental life-changing-points are out there.
Out there, beyond my control.
I can use no 'exciting' or 'active' verbs to get myself closer.
No striving will make it happen sooner.
It's a waiting game.
Hoping.
Preparing.

But what if this next big thing is just like the last big thing?
I reach it (finally), 
adjust, get comfortable with the change, 
and then I'm in-between again.
It's like the slight let-down after Christmas. 
All the presents are unwrapped, and there are no more surprises.
Ah, well - 365 days till next Christmas.

Maybe what I'm trying to process is the idea that maybe Advent is trying to teach me something else.
A different lesson altogether than just waiting, hoping and preparing.
Maybe the lesson I'm learning is to abide.

That because of (and in spite of) my hopes, even when the end is in sight,
it is possible to live in a state of perpetual contentment, and active progress.
This is my own type of preparation.  
Continuing, progressing through time in a particular condition or attitude.

At this moment, 
I could very easily launch into a trite tirade on how we should live as if every day is Christmas.  
That's not what I want, though, really.
I can't live every moment as if it's a mountain-top experience, 
a monumental change in history.
How exhausting.
I just want to be ready for those moments, 
while still loving and living the life that I have.


Make the most of the in-betweens.
The periods of waiting.
Celebrate Advent.

1 comment:

  1. I'm soo very thankful for your blogs, transparency, your will to do, and sweet relationship with Christ!!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete