Monday, April 23, 2012

reflections upon a mattress

A Learning Experience.
_
Made me feel like a fish out of water.
24 songs in two months?
More hours spent practicing than in my senior year of high school.
Awful/awkward time signatures. (5/4??!!)
Awful/awkward key signatures. (G♭??!!)
Always tired; no life.
Having to get over my pride.
Threats of carpal tunnel.
Having to be okay with only playing melody or RH in many songs.
Not getting to work with the students as much as I'd've liked.
Living on Spaghetti O's and frozen pizza.  Seriously.

+
Challenged me to push the limits of my ability.
Pressured me to excel.
Reintroduced me to my second love, piano.
Reminded me of the thrill of performing.
Let me contribute to theatre, albeit in the background.
Acquainted me with some awesome individuals and educators from the community.
Expanded my social circle.
Caused me to think and act outside myself, and my box. 
Networking/foot-in-the-door.
Reminded me that I do love teaching, and love teaching secondary ed.
Taught me to count measures.
Taught me 5/4 time.
Taught me glissandi.
Taught me to think of piano as a part of a whole.
Taught me to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment