Monday, February 20, 2012

input

Whatever is true, 
whatever is honorable, 
whatever is just, 
whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, 
whatever is commendable, 
if there is any excellence, 
if there is anything worthy of praise, 
think about these things.  
Philippians 4:8

If you read the context of the passage cited above, it says, "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  Peace results from putting these things in your mind.  

I haven't been careful with what I've been putting into my mind.  And it's been obvious to me.  I don't feel that peace, I don't feel that protection over my heart and mind.  I feel heaviness.

So.  I'm proactively guarding my heart by guarding my eyes.  Certain TV shows, movies, articles online... no more for me.  Am I so ignorant to think that it does not affect me?  That I can willingly expose myself to the things that are the opposite of the things listed above and not be embittered, unsettled?  

Let me challenge you: take an inventory of the things you spend your time on.  Are the things you watch/do/read/listen to uplifting?  Encouraging?  Honorable?  True?  It might surprise you how desensitized you've become to the ugly things of life.  Join me in throwing out the trash.  Let's live in peace.

5 comments:

  1. this has always been one of my favorite verses.

    i love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenna! It's been something I've been super convicted about lately, and it seems so easy to not have this verse in the forefront of your mind, you know? So easy to forget! Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. i couldnt agree more with kenna!
    thank you for sharing this! love!
    love the blog!
    xoxo
    elsha rae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsha! Considering your blog is insanely adorable, I very much take that as a compliment! :)

      Good luck with wedding plans, etc! What a wonderful ride! <3

      Delete