Monday, November 28, 2011

things daddy taught me


In his sermon Saturday night, Pastor Drew mentioned that our (good) relationships here on earth are designed to teach us more about our relationships with God.  Particularly, our relationships with our fathers.

I'm convinced my father is one of the smartest, wisest, most godly persons on the planet.  He would never say so himself, but he is.  (There's a correlation there.)

Here are some of the things I've learned about life, love and God from watching and listening to him.

My dad is smart.  He taught me:
Before you ask a question, think it through, look up information for yourself, and form your own idea or conclusion.  Then ask and discuss.  This will not only aid in your learning, it will promote balanced and in-depth conversations.  We've been given the capacity to learn for ourselves, and oftentimes lazily asking a question you haven't thought through is not conducive to really learning.
I learned to love my dictionary, my calculator, my Bible and my encyclopedia.

My dad is wise.  He taught me:
Be the bigger man, so to speak.  If you're not getting along with someone (they hurt you, you hurt them, there's some misunderstanding), forgive them and be the first to go to them to ask for forgiveness.  Make the first moves toward reconciliation.

Love them whether they deserve it or not.

My dad is soft-spoken.  He taught me:
Listening is the best way to encourage relationships.  Be approachable.  And care.

Think before you speak; be certain of your words.  Say precisely what you mean, and avoid unnecessary or careless statements.  This, too, is wisdom.

My dad is godly.  He taught me:
The importance of spending daily time with the Lord cannot be overemphasized.

Always have your Bible with you... even if the best way to carry it is tucked into your belt as you walk around camp.

Think of theology in terms of its practical application.  Lofty arguments and debates that have little or no consequence in relation to "real life" have their place, but have little fruit.  How does it apply to serving God and His people?

My dad is humble.  He taught me:
Lead by example.
Volunteer to do the harder, dirtier, less glamorous tasks.
Do not complain or show disgust.  
If you can demonstrate something through your actions, it's better than if you use words.
My dad is the best at this.

My dad is funny.  He taught me:
It's okay to laugh at yourself.
I think my dad laughs the loudest at his own jokes.
And I think that's cool.
Don't take yourself too seriously.

My dad always points me to Christ.  He has shown me what it means to love a spouse, to love his kids, to love the Lord and how to follow Jesus in a very real and practical sense.  He has shown me how I can relate to God the Father as a father.  I respect him, I love him, I wish to obey, honor, and emulate him.

In the same way, let your light shine before others,
so that they may see your good works and give glory to 
your Father who is in heaven.
Mt. 5:16 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment