Tuesday, November 15, 2011

abraham and sarah

Lately, I've been struck with the realization that Kevin and I are called to be Abraham and Sarah.  Let me explain.

Earlier this year, not long after we got married, we knew we were meant to move across the country from Philly, PA to the Denver area, Colorado.  Away from everything: PBU and DE life, friends, family... every support system I had known for the past four years, and Kevin... his whole life.

Kevin felt a call to study Scripture and ministry at Denver Seminary.  We searched for jobs and apartments.  We looked and prayed for plans to fall into place.  Ultimately, though, we knew that regardless of our "plans" working out via internet searches, phone calls and emails, Kevin and I would be moving.  It came to the point (before Kevin received the joyous letter from Denver Sem) that we felt we needed to move whether or not he was accepted for the fall semester.  Such was the feeling - the call - that we both had toward our future in Colorado.

So, a week after graduating from Philadelphia Biblical, Kev and I packed up our box of an apartment, loaded all of our earthly possessions into a moving van, and drove 30+ hours west.  Jobs were uncertain, though Kevin had an "in" from his previous job on the east coast.  We still had no idea what our apartment really looked like, other than the pictures we had seen online - which we hoped were not fabricated or dishonest.

We arrived at Idaho Springs, saw our [gorgeous!] apartment, applied for jobs, found a church, made some friends, and settled down with life.  Truly.  That's about how fast it all happened, too.

It has just been incredible to see the way that the Lord has seen fit to bless us.  He called us out in faith, and now He delights in rewarding us for our obedience.  It is not a huge stretch to compare Colorado to the Promised Land... but I think there's truth in the analogy that God let us know He had/has enormous and amazing things in store for us, calling us to leave our comfortable support systems and the life that we had known to pursue what He had - whatever that might be - out in the wild blue yonder of the Rockies.

I see Kevin as an Abraham figure, anyway.  I see him as one appointed by God to be His ambassador in a foreign, unfamiliar land.  I think God sees him that way, too.  Since we've settled here, Kevin's heart is for seminary and for further education in Biblical studies... but his desire is for practical ministry in the local church.  That much is clear.  We arrived at FBCE at the moment the associate pastor was looking for an intern - a role he asked Kevin to fulfill maybe three weeks after we had begun attending the church.  Once in that position, and after a summer of awesome ministry with the youth group and the rest of the church body, the associate pastor has received and answered a call to lead a church in Kentucky.  Kevin is in prime position to assume several of those responsibilities.

Don't you see?  It's all just a little too perfect.  Too perfect to be coincidence, anyway.  Of course, this is how we see God work.  I see Him blessing our obedience in moving out here, and our continued obedience in submitting our will to His in His plan for our life.

I see myself as Sarah.  I see myself as one appointed to stand next to my Abraham in support.  Not questioning his leadership, but faithfully serving next to him.  I also put my trust in the Lord that He will be faithful in providing us with the family that we so desire.  (And, any of you who know me well understand my Sarah- (or Hannah-) like desire for children, though Kevin and I are still young.) But, in His timing.

This is one of the numerous reasons why I love the Old Testament narratives of God's people.  I love seeing the way God works, how people respond to Him, and how He blesses.  How can we but rejoice in His word?  How can we but obey and heed His call?  How can we but trust in Him?

I humbly ask for your prayers as we continue to settle into life here.  I ask that especially through this holiday season we will be the image-bearers of Christ and ambassadors of the Lord in a dark and unbelieving world.

Genesis 18:19
"For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household 
after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice, 
so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him."

Psalm 37: 3-6
Trust in the LORD, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him, and he will act.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Anna, you are beautiful inside and out. I am so glad that you and Kevin were faithful and strong and pray that you will never change in those qualities. Thank you for sharing. Love, Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, you got to move close to me! Sounds like a win, win, win situation to me :)

    ReplyDelete