Wednesday, June 29, 2011

some undeveloped thoughts about my job

Some things I thought about while at work today:
- At Starbucks, a big part of knowing our product (and, consequently, selling our product) is sampling. So, as part of my training today, we sampled three coffees, one from each of our three regions. As far as details for the sampling goes, I’ll leave that undescribed — these are, after all, undeveloped thoughts. ANYWAY, my thought was, as we sipped coffee from tiny ceramic shot glasses, and nibbled complementary cakes and scones, that this was a whole lot like communion. The whole ‘ceremony’ and procedure of the sampling, the circle of three or four partners joining in on the sampling, and the ‘reflection’ - oh this tastes like this, this goes well with this, I think this about this coffee. So, as I drank coffee today, I mused and thanked Jesus for His sacrifice. Communion isn’t confined to the church setting, is it?
- Because I’m an introvert, I naturally dislike small-talk. If I don’t have anything important to say, I keep quiet. There are too many loud, narcissistic people in the world who think what they have to say is interesting and important… or just talk to fill the silence. I’m ok with silence. However. I’m getting to the point where I can “turn on” an extroverted side of me. Today at work, I made small-talk! I said more than I thought was absolutely necessary! I joined a conversation when I heard the name “Idina Menzel” and gave some input on how awesome she is and why I love musical theatre!
- I’m quickly becoming acclimated to the Starbucks scene (in Idaho Springs), predominantly because the people I work with are so stinking nice. I feel at ease, so I’m quick to enjoy myself, quick to learn, and quick to be friendly to other people.
- Although everyone is nice, attitudes and language sometimes flash and flare. I want to be a light in my workplace. I want to do little things that people may or may not notice. I want to be on top of my game (I’m LOVING learning formulas and ratios for drinks… something so therapeutic about it) and really excel at this. I want to be in a position to encourage.

No comments:

Post a Comment