Thursday, June 23, 2011

manic wednesday

Remember how stressed I was about updating my information, government websites, etc? Well… it’s not for no reason, promise!
Woke up early to head to the Social Security office.
Goal: update my last name. FINALLY! Fortunately, that only took about forty-five minutes, and the guy sent me on my way to the DMV to update my license (aka get a Colorado license).
Arrive at the DMV.
Goal: update my last name and become an organ donor. (Eerrggh, Kevin and I had a conversation about this, and he guilted me into it. However, I’m keeping my blood!) Again, another long line, sat for a while, marveled at the thing that is government bureaucracy, and waited for our numbers to be called. Kevin thought he might as well get his license updated as well, since we were there. At our number, we stepped up to desk, behind which sat a rather young man.
He talked us through the information, I showed him all my new papers… this whole process took about ten minutes. After I took the eye sight test, he groaned slightly and said, “I thought this might happen…” I was freaking out inside, thinking that I had failed the eye exam. Oy. But then he continued, “You said you just came from the Social Security office? Well… we’re linked in to their system, and it seems that it takes a few days for their computers to update your new name into the system. So… I can’t give you your license yet. But when you come back, the form is partially filled out, so it won’t take as long!” As if five minutes of talking to one person is enough to outweigh the thirty or so we sat/stood in lines and will likely have to repeat within the week.
“However, I can take care of your license situation since you didn’t have to change your name, sir,” the youngin’ said to Kevin. Kevin handed him his DE license, and the kid typed some stuff into his computer. After a minute or two, he groaned again, stepped back from his desk and went to a back office to speak to a superior. Sheepishly, he walked back toward us, and said, “Well, we can’t seem to connect to the state of Delaware right now. It seems Delaware’s system is down.”
Just our luck! Fortunately, Kevin and I laughed it off (though we weren’t laughing twenty minutes later when we were in hot pursuit of a replacement phone charger - don’t ask, because you can probably guess) and headed out on other errands.
Well, Mr Colorado DMV, we’ll be back. Just you wait.
In other news, I started work at Starbucks today! Woohoo! All the “partners” I met today were super nice, the store manager is awesome, I got to sample a lot of cookies and coffees, and received three new, blessedly green aprons. I was told I needed to remove my nail polish… which made me incredibly sad. I haven’t had blank nails since sophomore year of college, I think. Ah. Well. The things one gives up for work. Like free time. And an NCIS marathon.
For dinner tonight, I whipped up a curry chicken and rice dish that was probably the best thing I’ve made so far… ever! Kevin agrees, so you know it’s true. He added a fruit salad, and we drank ice water out of our mason jars. I love drinking out of mason jars. Just makes a place feel like home.
I promise to upload some pictures of our apartment - fully furnished! I’ll get around to it… sometime… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment